S5: Biotechnology and Commercial Opportunity
Chair: Dr Indira Tiwari. South Korea
Dr Sushila Maharajan, USA
Biotechnology, a multidisciplinary field that integrates biology, chemistry, physics, and engineering, has revolutionized various industries by harnessing biological systems and processes for practical applications. It encompasses the manipulation of living organisms, cells, and biological molecules to develop innovative solutions across diverse sectors. In fact, key aspects of biotechnology include genetic engineering, molecular biology, and the manipulation of biological systems for understanding the fundamental processes of living organisms at the molecular and cellular levels and using this knowledge to develop products, processes, and applications that benefit society. The field of biotechnology is constantly evolving, with ongoing research and innovation pushing the boundaries of what is possible and has been responsible for groundbreaking advancements in areas such as healthcare, agriculture, energy, environmental protection, and more. It has led to the development of new medical treatments, improved crop varieties, sustainable energy sources, advanced diagnostic tools, and many more.
While Nepal’s biotechnology landscape is still evolving, the nation is making significant progress in research, innovation, and application. Collaborations with international partners, investments in research and development, and an emphasis on building skilled human resources are all contributing to the growth of biotechnology in Nepal. As the field continues to progress, it has the potential to address local challenges and contribute to sustainable development in various sectors including industry while offering innovative solutions to a wide range of challenges in various industries, promoting sustainability, efficiency, and improved quality of life.
Industrial biotechnology is a field within biotechnology that focuses on utilizing biological processes, organisms, and systems to develop products, processes, and applications for various industrial sectors. In Nepal, the industrial sector is exploring biotechnology for applications like enzyme production, waste management, wastewater treatment and sustainable production processes. Startups and entrepreneurs are venturing into biotechnology-related businesses, focusing on areas such as agri-biotech, solid and liquid waste management, and biomedicine.
This symposium provides a platform for the Nepali professors, scientists, academics, researchers, and industry professionals the latest to share advancements, research findings, and innovations in the field of biotechnology and industrial applications while facilitating networking opportunities for participants to connect with like-minded individuals, potential collaborators, and industry partners around the world. This can lead to collaborative research projects, partnerships, and business opportunities. The primary objectives of the symposium are.
- Bridging Academia and Industry: Foster collaboration between academic research and industrial application by providing a platform for academia-industry interactions and knowledge exchange.
- Public Awareness and Engagement: Raise public awareness about the role of biotechnology in various industries and its impact on everyday life. This can help build understanding and support for biotechnology-related initiatives.
- Industry Insights and Trends: Provide insights into current trends, challenges, and opportunities in the biotechnology and industrial sectors in Nepal. This can help attendees stay informed about market dynamics and emerging technologies.
- Technology Transfer and Commercialization: Showcase biotechnological innovations and technologies that have the potential for commercialization. This can attract investors, entrepreneurs, and industry representatives interested in turning research outcomes into marketable products.
- Policy and Regulatory Discussions: Facilitate discussions on policies, regulations, and ethical considerations related to biotechnology and its applications in industry. This can promote responsible and safe practices.
- International and Cross-Disciplinary Exchange: Attract participants from diverse geographical regions and disciplines to encourage cross-cultural and cross-disciplinary exchange of ideas and experiences.
- Promoting Entrepreneurship and Startups: Encourage entrepreneurship by showcasing biotech startups, innovative business models, and opportunities for funding and support.
In summary, a Biotechnology and Commercial Applications symposium aims to create a dynamic platform for knowledge sharing, collaboration, and exploration of biotechnology’s diverse applications in various industries. By bringing together experts, professionals, and stakeholders, the convention will contribute to the growth and advancement of biotechnology-driven solutions that address nation’s challenges and drive economic development.
List of CV of Session Chair